Saturday, September 24, 2011

First Dates and Date Firsts

As previously mentioned, KB and I tried out Cherrywood Cafe in Austin and enjoyed our burgers and beer.  In addition to interesting sartorial statements, we also had the privilege of sitting next to a couple that was almost certainly on their first date.  Adorable.  Obviously I had no choice but to eavesdrop with all my might.  You know you would have too...don't judge.

I had a decent view of Girl Dater, who seemed to be quite nervously chatty, which was okay because Boy Dater seemed to be a good listener.  He had his back to me, so I couldn't read his body language.  She talked quite a bit about hr family, their lake house vacation home, the fact that they weren't really rich, and the fact that she had pets.  When she asked if he liked dogs, he responded positively.  t was this point that we focused our after-dinner conversation on the drive home.  According to KB, asking a boy if he likes dogs is akin to asking how he deals with commitment.  When she explained this to me, I felt as if I had just been given secret knowledge that single guys are never told, for fear that it would upset the natural order of things.

As a guy, I can only view this piece of information a few way.  1) It's a test of loyalty and fidelity in some way.  Dogs are the Platonic ideal of loyalty, and perhaps if a potential suitor identifies with those traits, he sees part of himself there. The other choice is 2) Girls really do not understand guys.  I think most guys like dogs because they are much more like men in general.  We're driven by attention, a regular feeding schedule, and rewards for good behavior.  We're generally averse to aloofness, being scratched for no reason, and very picky eaters.

I think most men like dogs, some just on principle, so I'm worried that the single women of the world my have some misinformation.  If a guy doesn't like dogs, yes he terrible, but liking them doesn't mean he's great. I hope that Girl Dater probed into Boy Dater's psyche a little deeper, asking his opinions on the world in general.  KB has also posited that the best relationships are those in which people move from discussing people, places and events and on to ideas.  I can honestly say that we are very lucky to have the friends we do because the sharing of ideas, beliefs and opinions is something we are all passionate about.  We dialogue, share, and are made all the better for having known each other and spent even small amounts of time together. 

So Girl Dater, I wish you all the best.  Ask Boy Dater about his opinion of the state of education in America, his opinions on the evolution of popular music, and whether or not PETA has a moral footing to stand on.  If his answers compliment yours, then ask if he likes dogs.  He'll know what you mean because I've already spread the word.

PS The titular "date first" was watching someone back into a scooter and phone a friend for advice, only to discover that sad friend was inside and that it as her scooter.  Oh, Austin...you and your scooter gangs.

No comments:

Post a Comment