Sunday, October 16, 2011

Furniture? Furniture.

"Objects are made by men, and used for many purposes...but we never love objects." - James Franco

KB and I love having people over, especially when sharing a meal.  Even though it sounds slightly pretentious, we really do love to entertain.  It's fun, it builds friendships, and it's always a good excuse for making an over-the-top meal.

When we got married, I did not actually own a table.  As a bachelor, I just chose to hold my plates steady what shoveling food into my mouth with the other hand.  Once KB and I got married, she first introduced me to the concept of "manners", something I had obviously long since forgotten.  Through her diligence and patience, seven and a half years later I can honestly say that my manners are somewhat marginally better.  Kudos, KB!  Hard work pays off!

But I digress.  One thing she brought to the marriage (other than brains, culture, and Clancey) was her awesome table.  She had a great 2-4 person table from Crate & Barrel, and I was in awe.  On one of our first nights in our Houston home, we decorated the table, set out the fine china we got for our wedding, and had grilled cheeses (two youth ministry salaries gets you that level of gourmanderie, if that is in fact a word).  Since then, it has been a workhorse.  And a sawhorse, for that matter.  It's been used for crafting, so it's still got glitter on it.  It's got footprints on it.  It's been used, abused, and has hosted some (frankly) awesome parties.  We always found a way to cram more people around it, and it never let us down.  Now it gets to retire, and will likely be used as a desk, which I think is the equivalent of being put out to stud.  I'm sure at least one food story will be written on it, so you know...circle of life and whatnot.  It's a fantastic, well-loved table. 

Our new table and chairs arrived on Friday, and they are for sure the new hotness...
For God's sake, use a coaster!
Leaves!  Matching chairs!  Appropriate size!  I'm proud of us for making the leap into the early 20th century.  There will be many more happy meals around this table, so stop on by anytime.  We'll eat hot dogs off the fancy china.

No comments:

Post a Comment