Friday, June 22, 2012

Hobbies.


Back when our wedding bliss was in its infancy, KB...let us use the word "suggested here, that I needed a hobby or two. It was when we had cable TV and I, perhaps, watched more than my fair share. I tried the classic "Why can't watching TV be considered a hobby?" trick. That was a lonely night on the couch. I've played guitar for years, so she added the tag "new" to her suggestion, and I debated until I lost. I did not see the point in developing a new hobby just for the sake of having one. I figured it should be something I enjoyed, was somewhat passionate about, and could partake in at any time.

It took six years, but I may have found a new hobby. I have always enjoyed quality short fiction. I think it is a classic art form that America has always supported. I mean, O. Henry (a Texan, I might add) even got a candy bar named for him. A really tasty one at that. The only other person I can think of with that distinction is, of course, Francis J. Whatchamacallit, inventor of the toilet paper holder. Look it up.

Some dear friends gave me journals this past spring for ideas to blog about (it should be noted that this was after a scolding for not updating with enough regularity). I must confess to not having used them yet, but I was inspired to start keeping a running word document on my work computer with ideas. Many of those were just thoughts ("Nay, profundities" - T.K.), and few were sentences that sounded good. Some were comments I had made that I thought especially witty (ok, so there’s only one of those). I realized that I could form story around some of these.

KB and I have tossed about ideas for books or stories before. I have made up a few stories to tell at bedtime. We've had many good conversations on the art of storytelling and writing. Once I finally put these puzzle pieces together, I started writing, and it has been quite a joy. I have no delusion that I will become some widely published author. Heck, I may only have one or two stories in my head at al, but the process has been enjoyable so far.  Michael Chabon has stated that he writes about 5,000 words per day.  I'm shooting for 100, and maybe half of them good.
 
We're taking a trip back to Austin this weekend, and I am itching to get at those journals. I imagine they will be filled quicker than I realize

No comments:

Post a Comment